Date: May 4, 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD, US
Your ideas move people.
Bombardier Transportation, a global leader in rail technology, offers the broadest portfolio in the rail industry and delivers innovative products and services that set new standards in sustainable mobility. Bombardier ECO4 technologies - built on the four cornerstones of energy, efficiency, economy and ecology - conserve energy, protect the environment and help to improve total train performance.
We are looking for a Passenger Conductor/Assistant Conductor as part of our bid proposal for MARC Penn Line Operations and will be based in Baltimore, MD.
In your role as a Passenger Conductor/Assistant Conductor, you will:
Be responsible for the safe movement of trains by adhering to applicable operating rules/practices. Oversee all on-train employees in service delivery by adhering to Bombardier’s service standards. Ensure all revenue documents are collected/verified in accordance with designated tariffs and the safety of passengers/crew by adhering to safety rules. Thinks and functions independently utilizing clear and effective verbal communication skills to interact with passengers, crew members, and others jointly responsible for safe and efficient train movements and customer service. Secures movement orders and ensures clear understanding by operating crew. Ensure pre-determined service requests are understood and carried out. Maintain understanding of operating characteristics and practices including physical characteristics, safety rules, air brake rules, electrical instructions, equipment trouble-shooting practices, and emergency procedures. Physically move between and around train cars manipulating and lifting heavy air hoses and electrical cables. Safely ride the side of train equipment, getting on and off equipment, as required. Responsible for submission of various reports to record movement delays, unusual occurrences, passenger inconveniences, and mechanical defects. Assist in boarding and detraining of passengers.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all train orders, signals, and railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Review instructions from dispatchers, and discuss with locomotive engineer and train crew
- Inspect all equipment on cars prior to departures
- Receive and transmit information by radio and telephone
- Read and understand bulletins and notices
- Assist and instruct train crews to couple and uncouple cars, operate switches, and make minor repairs to railcars, including replacing heavy couplings or air brake hoses
- Work with customers to ensure accurate movement and placement of cars
- Maintain awareness of surrounding area and suspicious activity to ensure rail safety
- Comprehend color and/or hand signals and systems
- Quickly respond (with the hand, finger, or foot) to visual symbols, signals and displays (sound, light, picture, etc.)
Training will be provided in Baltimore, MD upon hire.
- High School diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- 2 years verifiable work experience and/or college
- No driving violations involving alcohol or drugs within the past 3 years
- 242 Certified
- NORAC Rules Qualified
- Experience working on an on-call basis
- Experience working varying shift schedules
- Experience operating heavy equipment
- Medium to heavy work, lifting up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Work in cramped, confined, enclosed, or awkward places
- Walk long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity
- Must meet color vision requirements as described in the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) Regulations
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical in English)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions in English)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment including hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Complete annual training and pass safety operating rules examination
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- May require a post-offer medical examination, including drug
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement; membership is required
This position is covered under Railroad Retirement.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Bombardier Transportation is an Equal Opportunity Employer Dedicated to Affirmative Action and Workforce Diversity.
Job: Train Operations & Maintenance
Primary Location: US-MD-Baltimore
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: 07.03.2017, 10:16:22 AM
31.12.2017, 11:59:00 PM
Nearest Major Market: Baltimore
Job Segment: Electrical, Sustainability, Engineering, Energy